Frequently Asked Questions

Royal Oaks Maintenance Association FAQ's
What time do the gates open and close?


The gates are set to open at 7 AM year round and close at 6 PM during Standard Time and 8 PM during Daylight Saving Time.  See Tim Praznik about programming your automobile or hand held remote to open the gate.

What do I need to do before starting construction on a new home and what building materials are approved?


  • House plans PDF's of all submittals including a Size D of floor plan- 1/4" equals a foot.  All exterior elevations must be  shown (minimum 2500 sq ft heated & cooled of which at least 2000 sq ft must be on the ground floor  -- home must include 2 or more car enclosed garage).

  • A detailed rendering, either electronic or an artistic architectural drawing, of the planned construction project must be provided to the ACC before a project can be approved.

  • Site plan (a drawing to scale showing where your home will be located on your deeded lot)

  • Samples of your exterior building materials (brick & stone) exterior paint colors (paint swatches) and roofing material (shingle), etc)

  • Application for Construction - Permit (found in the HOA Documents section of this website)

  • The items listed above need to be presented to a member of the Architectural Control Committee (ACC). For more information, please see Requirements for ACC Approval (located in the HOA Documents section of this website).

  • Approval must be granted by the ACC before any construction can begin.

  • A copy of the Builders Guide should be given to your builder before construction begins (located in the HOA Documents section of this website).


  • Removal of trees.  Application for Construction must be approved by the Architectural Control Committee (ACC) prior to removal of any live tree larger than 6” diameter, prior to clearing for any building, driveway or grade work, and prior to the delivery of building materials or the start of any construction. The Board has established a guideline that allows for the removal of all trees within 20’ of a proposed house slab and 5’ of a proposed driveway.

Approved Building Materials (Resolution 12)

  • All homes in Royal Oak Estates are to be constructed of brick, stone, stucco or a combination of the above. Masonry plank/board can be used on the face of gables and dormers; however it can be used on no more than 15% - 20% of the exterior of the home below the plate line. Rough cedar can be used for beams, porch ceilings, support posts, or trim.

  • Roofs on homes are to be fire retarding and of such material and style as permitted by the ACC. The minimum pitch of all roofs shall be 5/12 and they shall contain no more than 10% - 15% flat panel metal for accent purposes. Other metal roofing will be considered by the ACC on a case by case basis. The intent is to have roofs that are in harmony with exterior design and blend with the surroundings. 

What routine maintenance is required on property within Royal Oak Estates? Resolution 3


  • The deeded portion of all undeveloped lots must be mowed and maintained during the months of June and October and should be otherwise reasonably maintained throughout the year. All SRA (leaseback) property may remain in a natural state.

  • Vacant lots, or those portions of developed lots left in a natural state, must be kept free of fallen trees, large limbs, brush piles and debris.

  • Landscaped areas and lawns are to be maintained in good condition and not appear neglected.

When are Form Board Surveys required? Resolution 7

Form Board Surveys are required to verify that all setback distances have been met prior to pouring concrete for any foundation for a new home or other improvements on deeded property. 

What improvements on property within Royal Oak Estates can be made without approval of the ACC?  Resolution 4


  • Sprinkler systems, fountains, dry creeks, all plants, and other landscaping; exceptions are hedgerows or other landscaping that may block the lake view of other residents.

  • Flag poles, birdhouses, wildlife feeders, buried propane tanks, aerobic systems, and roof mounted satellite dishes.

  • Retaining walls constructed of masonry, stone or concrete products, stonework and/or concrete work, including driveways, sidewalks, walkways and cart paths; note all driveways must be concrete; walkways, sidewalks and cart paths must be concrete, stone, masonry or other natural materials.  Shoreline retaining walls still require ACC approval.

  • Removal of living trees 6" or more in diameter will continue to require prior approval, however, approval will always be granted to remove trees that interfere with the construction of ACC approved structures and site plans. 

Can I build an outbuilding on my deeded or leaseback property? Resolution 12 -Item 3


3. All outbuildings/structures on deeded and leaseback property are to be constructed to match style, materials and color of the home. Roofs on separate structures must be the same as your home.  They are subject to the same building restrictions and will need approval of the ACC before construction.

What are the rules regarding pets?

  • Article VI Section 6.14 of the “Declaration” states: Animals.  No animals, reptiles, rodents, birds, livestock or poultry shall be kept in any Lot or elsewhere within the Development except that domestic dogs (except pit bulls or pit bull mixtures) and domestic cats, fish and birds inside bird cages may be kept as household pets within any Lot, if they are not kept, bred or raised for commercial purposes or in unreasonable quantities as determined by the Board. The Association may prohibit the keeping of any animal that in the sole and exclusive opinion of the Board constitutes a nuisance to any other Owner. Pets shall be controlled at all times.

  • The Board, with input from our residents, has defined Control as keeping your dog(s) fenced or in an enclosure while on their own property if they are not being accompanied by their owner.  Furthermore, Owners who walk or run their dog(s) must use a physical leash or electronic leash on each dog when not on their own property to prevent unwanted behaviors.  Physical leashes are preferred, but electronic leashes will be allowed for Owners who can demonstrate Control of their dog(s) while using an electronic leash.

  • See Resolution 13 for details.


Can I build a fence or dog kennel on my property? Resolution 5


Applications for approval of fences will be considered by the Architectural Control Committee (the "ACC") on an individual basis to the extent they are:


  • Not located closer to the roadways than 50 feet; and

  • Are located behind the home; and

  • Constructed of high quality materials that complement the appearance of the home; and

  • Are black metal and no taller than 4 feet, and

  • Contain no elements of chain link or wood privacy-type; and

  • Pet enclosures (kennels) will be considered to the extent they are no larger than 40'L x 20'W x 6'H, and are located near the home in the rear.

Can I park a boat trailer or utility trailer on my property? Resolution 5


Taking into consideration that this is a lake community; limited parking of boat trailers, pontoon trailers or utility trailers may be permitted on deeded property as long as the following criteria are met:


  • They are discreetly located away from the roadways and do not adversely affect the appearance of the property; and

  • Trailers should be limited to one per home or lot. However, if a home or lot owner has more than one trailer, the home owner and a member of the ACC will attempt to determine a proper storage location for the trailers. This does not guarantee that parking more than one trailer on any lot will be approved by the ACC; and

  • Guests may temporarily park a boat trailer or RV type trailer in their driveway or in the street in front of their home, providing the trailer does not interfere with traffic flow, for a period not to exceed 7 days.

  • Owners may park a boat or RV on their driveway for 2-3 days in order to prepare for a trip or cleaning, etc.

  • If at any time, any of the above conditions are not met, the Board will request the items in question be removed from view and the Owner will promptly comply, or be subject to rules enforcement. 

How are rules & regulations modified or clarified? Resolution 1


Homeowner rules and regulations are modified or clarified through Administrative and Policy Resolutions proposed by the Board of Directors or HOA membership.  The purpose of these resolutions is to carry out, modify or clarify the restrictions as set forth in the Declaration of Covenants.  They become effective upon being approved and signed by the Board of Directors and become permanent upon being voted on by the membership. Once passed, they are a part of the governing documents of the Homeowners Association and are readily available to the membership.

How will I receive my invoice for HOA dues, fines or fees? Resolution 6
  • All invoices for dues, fines, fees, and all payments, requests, communications and notices will be sent by US postal service or to a members valid e-mail address of record on the Associations books at the time of sending.
What happens when I am late or fail to pay my HOA dues? Resolution 2
  • Annual Assessments are due no later than January 31; however, no penalty will be assessed if paid in full before the end of the annual members meeting.  All others are due on the specified due date. Assessments are considered delinquent 30 days after the due date. Returned checks will incur a $35 fee.

What are the setback requirements for my home? Resolution 8
  • Setback distances will be applied in a straight line from the nearest point along a lot line or paved street to the nearest portion of a structure.

  • The minimum setback from a side and back lot line is 15 feet, unless the back line is a common boundary with SRA, in which case there is no minimum setback requirement for such line.

  • The minimum setback from the paved surface of any street is 50 feet on all lots.  If there is no paved street, the set back is 40 feet from the actual property line.

  • The objective is to maintain a minimum spacing of 30 feet between homes. Towards achieving this objective, the ACC will consider the size and positioning of proposed structures on a lot, and may consider existing structures and likely building sites on adjacent lots.

  • Due to the unusual shape of some lots, it may not always be possible to achieve the minimum setbacks, however, every effort should be made to achieve 30 feet spacing between homes.

  • The Board reserves the right to approve individual variances to these minimums whenever they determine such variance is warranted and would not detract from the community or from an adjacent lot.
What is the minimum size of houses built in Royal Oak Estates? Resolution 9

The minimum square footage for a home is 2,500 square feet, of which at least 2,000 square feet must be on the ground floor, of living area, exclusive of porches (open or closed), garages, or unfinished space.

Can a boathouse or other ancillary structure be built prior to construction of the residential dwelling?  Resolution 10

Any structure ancillary to the residential improvements to be constructed upon any Lot (e.g., boat docks, gazebos, etc.) may be commenced prior to construction of the residential dwelling only upon approval by the Architectural Control Committee (ACC).

How are conflicts between the Bylaws and the Declaration of Covenants resolved?
According to Article XIII Section 1 of the Bylaws, "Any conflict between one or more provisions of these Bylaws and one or more provisions of the Declaration shall be resolved in favor of the provision(s) set forth in the Declaration". 
Can the Bylaws be amended?


According to Article XVI Section 1, of the Bylaws, "These Bylaws may be altered, amended or repealed at any regular meeting of the Members or at any special meeting of the Members if notice of such proposed action be contained in the notice of such special meeting."

What is ISO and how does it affect our home insurance?


ISO stands for Insurance Services Office.  It is not an insurance company. ISO provides advisory services and information to many insurance companies. On your insurance policies, you may see notices showing ISO (Insurance Services Office, Inc.) as the copyright owner. That's because ISO develops and publishes policy language that many insurance companies use as the basis for their products. But your policy is a contract between you and your company. ISO is not a party to that contract.


ISO's expert staff collects information about municipal fire protection efforts in communities throughout the United States. In each of those communities, ISO analyzes the relevant data and assigns a Public Protection Classification (PPCTM) — a number from 1 to 10. Class 1 generally represents superior property fire protection, and Class 10 indicates that the area's fire suppression program does not meet ISO's minimum criteria.

Virtually all U.S. insurers of homes and business property use ISO's Public Protection Classifications in calculating premiums. In general, the price of fire insurance in a community with a good PPC is substantially lower than in a community with a poor PPC, assuming all other factors are equal.


A link to the Fire Chiefs Online site is attached.  It helps explain what goes into the "PPC" Public Protection Classification.  Fire Chiefs Online